Competitive Intelligence Manager
Miles & Stockbridge
Public Records Administrator
District of Columbia Office of Public Records
September 2015 to October 2020
Managed and directed all operational and administrative functions of the Office of Public Records:
- Supervised a team of five full time employees, managed employee performance through annual evaluations and performance improvement plans, and adjusted assignments to support employees’ strengths.
- Wrote position descriptions, interviewed, and hired for a newly created position and to fill a vacancy created by an internal promotion.
- Increased the capacity of the Office by recruiting interns, students, and volunteers to complete projects.
- Oversaw a major capital project to replace the heating and air conditioning systems in the archives and records center facility.
- Contributed to the site selection and design processes for a new archives and records center facility.
- Introduced data tracking to facilitate quarterly performance reports, identify trends in agency service usage, and track employee workloads.
Contributed to the mission-specific programs of the Office of Public Records:
- Overcame structural barriers to achieve small but vital accomplishments to preserve archival holdings and minimize government waste.
- Updated records management policies to improve office performance and interagency relationships without sacrificing agency compliance with records management laws.
- Prepared proposed rules for retention of email.
- Appraised government records for evidentiary, legal, fiscal and enduring value. Wrote, revised, and/or approved retention schedules for over thirty government agencies.
- Reduced a decades-long backlog through processing, arrangement, and description of archives holdings.
- Unauthorized Practice of Law: What is our risk, really? (Discussion Den). AALL Annual Meeting, July 2023
- Innovating for Access to Justice (Lightning Talk). SWALL, summer 2023
- JusticeAccess: A law library designed for the public (Lightning Talk). SEAALL, spring 2023
- The Reference Librarian as the Future of the Law Library. Pasts and Futures of the Library conference, April 2022
- JusticeAccess: Meeting the legal information needs of members of the public where they are (briefing). Catholic University of America’s 14th Annual Bridging the Spectrum Symposium, February 2022
- Government Records Management into the Future. NAGARA Winter Regional Forum 2020
- Round and Round We Go: Moving Local Collections, DC History Conference, November 2019
- Red Tape, Green Tape: Making Changes in a Bureaucracy, AASLH Annual Meeting, August 2019
- My Favorite Mistake: Confessions of an Imperfect Archivist, CoSA-NAGARA-SAA 2018 Joint Annual Meeting
- A Change Would Do You Good: Transforming Archives with CrossSector Perspectives, Midwest Archives Conference 2018 Annual Meeting
- UELMA-Compliant Preservation: Questions and Answers? (lightning talk), National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program’s Digital Preservation 2014 Meeting
- The Democratization of Legal Information, Catholic University of America’s 6th annual Bridging the Spectrum Symposium
- Legislative Process and Legislative Histories in the District of Columbia, Legislative Research Special Interest Section, Law Librarians’ Society of the District of Columbia, September 25, 2013
- Katz, Rebecca (20187-2018) “A Law Librarian Walks into an Archives.” Law Library Lights: Vol. 61, page 19.
- Katz, Rebecca; Harris, Kayla; and Huggard, Marcella (2018) “A Change Would Do You Good: Cross-Sector Perspectives,” MAC Newsletter: Vol. 46 : No. 2 , Article 14.
- Contributing writer, Hack Library School. Selected HLS posts
- On the Right Track: A New Approach to Access to Justice in the District of Columbia (poster). AALL Annual Meeting, July 2023
- Searching for Buried Treasure: Teaching Archival Research Skills to Archaeologists. Catholic University of America Bridging the Spectrum Symposium, 2018
- Planning for DC Archives 2022. American Association of State and Local History Annual Meeting, 2016
- Board of Directors, August 2019-October 2020
- Awards Committee, 2018-2020
- Archives and Records Management Survey Committee, 2018, 2020
- Bylaw Revision Committee, 2020
- Ex oficio member representing the Executive Office of the Mayor. Wrote procedures for Advisory Group activity.
DC History Conference
- Planning Committee, 2016-2020
- Submissions Subcommittee lead, 2017-2020
- Publications Committee, 2014-2015
- Access to Justice Committee, Chair and founder, 2014-2015
Certified Records Manager, 2018-present